Subject: Re: git-svn set-tree bug

From: Steven Grimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 16:37:25 -0700

Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> Is there a way to tell set-tree to commit the whole "merge" branch
> as one svn commit?
> If I merge the latest kernel into my tree there will
> be a lot of commits that I don't want in svn.
>   

You want a "squash" merge. Something like this:

git checkout -b tempbranch origin/svn-branch-to-commit-merge-to
git merge --squash branch-with-commits-you-want-to-merge
git commit
git svn dcommit

The "merge" command will merge in the changes but will not commit 
anything; when you do the explicit "commit" command afterwards, you get 
the contents of the merge but from git's point of view it's just a 
regular commit so git-svn doesn't get confused.

After you do git svn dcommit, you may want to edit .git/info/grafts to 
tell git after the fact that this commit was a merge. It won't hurt 
git-svn at that point and it will mean you can do another merge later 
without git getting confused about what has already been merged.

Take a look at the script I posted a while back, which does something 
similar:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/git/msg29119.html

-Steve