Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/5] Add gitmodules(5)

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:41:13 +0200

Josef Weidendorfer wrote:
> However, to not have a lot of copies of the admin submodule
> in
> 
>  .git/submodule/admin
>  .git/submodule/kdelibs/.git/submodule/admin
>  .git/submodule/kdebase/.git/submodule/admin
>  .git/submodule/kdenetwork/.git/submodule/admin
> 
> the just suggested submodule.<name>.repopath to specify a repository
> outside of .git/submodule to be shared by kdelibs,kdebase,... would
> be fine.

This clearly shows that having the repositories of submodules in
.git/submodule does not buy you enough to avoid duplication.

(I don't see enough reason to place a repo for submodule X in project Y
outside its "natural" checked-out directory in project Y. But then, I
haven't followed the discussion. Please ignore me if above layout choice
is for more than just avoiding duplication.)

-- Hannes