Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] 'git-svndump'

From: Sergey Yanovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:47:03 +0300

Eric Wong wrote:
> We could probably just implement this directly in git-svn.  I'll try to
> find time to take a closer look at it this weekend or the next if I
> don't have time.  If you or anybody else feel comfortable doing more
> work in Perl, feel free to go ahead with it.

I would be happy to help, but I don't speak fluent perl. I had real 
trouble introducing a global variable, when patching 'git-svn' for root 
commit.

>>  Documentation/git-svndump.txt |   97 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>  Makefile                      |    1 +
>>  git-svndump-init.sh           |   85 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>  git-svndump-sync.sh           |   98 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>  4 files changed, 281 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)
>>  create mode 100644 Documentation/git-svndump.txt
>>  create mode 100755 git-svndump-init.sh
>>  create mode 100755 git-svndump-sync.sh
> 
> I'm really not excited about having even more shell scripts in git.

The first name for this scripts was 'git-svndumb'. They don't do 
anything themselves. They just call 'git-svn'. It works like decoupling 
in object-oriented design. Old UNIX philosophy of 'big number of small 
tools'.

If you decide to incorporate then in 'git-svn', you'll need to 
contaminate it with knowledge of 'svndumb'. I am afraid, you'll need to 
peruse the whole file, putting 'if's here and there.

But, it doesn't really matter, which you way you go. I would be happy 
just to see this functionality in some future release of git.