Subject: Re: [PATCH] transplant: move a series of commits to a different parent

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 10:03:02 +0200

Steffen Prohaska wrote:
> 
> On Jun 25, 2007, at 9:16 AM, Johannes Sixt wrote:
> >  $ echo "$(git-rev-parse from^0) $(git-rev-parse onto^0)" \
> >     > .git/info/grafts
> >  $ git-filter-branch new-to onto..to
> 
> ... ok this is interesting: git-filter-branch will take the info from
> grafts to create its new commits. The new commits will contain all
> information independent of the grafts file, right?

Yes.

> ... but, I'm not convinced that this is what I need. I need to mix the
> tree of onto with the files _modified_ between from..to. Taking _all_
> files from the commits between from..to is _wrong_. And I think that
> is what the command you proposed would do.

My proposed commands won't do what you need. They just change
parenthood, but not the tree snapshots that they represent.

-- Hannes