Subject: Re: git-svn error "Unable to extract revision information from commit ...~1"

From: Steven Grimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:25:43 -0700

Patrick Doyle wrote:
> Wouldn't the svn head be called "git-svn"?
> Should the first checkout be written as:
>
> git checkout -b tempbranch git-svn
>
> (In other words, were the "trunk" and "tempbranch" arguments swapped
> in your example?)

Yes, sorry, I swapped the arguments. Should indeed be "git checkout -b 
(your new branch name) (svn head branch name)" rather than the other way 
around. My apologies for not proofreading my message.

However, the name of the svn head branch depends on the version of 
git-svn you're using, and how you cloned the svn repository. If you used 
the -T/--trunk option, then the svn head branch will indeed be called 
"trunk" (and you might also have other branches corresponding to 
whatever branches you're tracking in the svn repository.) If you're not 
using that option, then your svn tracking branch will be called 
"git-svn" or "origin" depending on your git-svn version.

> Finally, what is the purpose of creating a new branch as part of that 
> command?

You never ever want to work directly on the git-svn tracking branch. It 
is considered a remote branch and while it is technically possible to 
check it out and commit to it, you will almost certainly confuse git-svn 
if you do.

Also, creating a new branch means you still have your original nonlinear 
history easily accessible if you need it (just check out your old 
branch.) You can certainly still get at the old history without creating 
a new branch, but it's more awkward.

-Steve