Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-mergetool: add support for ediff

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 11:19:49 +1200

Theodore Tso wrote:
> OK, so I've hacked together the following emacs-lisp snippet, which I
> propose would go in contrib/use-ediff-instead.el.  If placed in your
> .emacs.el file, it will cause you to use ediff instead of emerge when
> you call "git mergetool".  It does so by replacing the two functions
> emerge-files-command and emerge-files-with-ancestor-comand with ones
> that patch the necessary ediff hooks, and then calling the ediff
> package instead of the emerge package.
> 
> With this .el file, no changes are needed to git-mergetool.sh.  Does
> this meet your needs?
> 
> 					- Ted
> 
> ;; use-ediff-instead.el
 [...]

Thanks for that, it mostly works, however it doesn't seem to notice if I
abort without making the merge complete (on emacs21).  In my smartmerge
script (http://utsl.gen.nz/scripts/smartmerge) I detect this condition
based on the presence of merge markers, possibly dubious but pragmatic.

I still don't really understand why having to save the merged buffer and
exit is such a huge issue.  Already I have to select "-t emerge" to get
emerge.  I would have thought it would be better to just make the other
mode available, and let the user figure it out.

Sam.