Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-mergetool: add support for ediff

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 18:27:04 +1200

Theodore Tso wrote:
> I'm just exploring alternatives.  Basically, it just seems interesting
> that ediff has a lot of nice features, but also has some incredibly
> user-hostile features.  The first time I tried using ediff, I indeed
> tried saving the buffer and exiting it.  That's when I discovered that
> after I changed the focus to the merge window and saved it, when I
> tried typing ^X^C, the exit failed with the error message "Attempt to
> delete a surrogate minibuffer frame".  That's the sort of thing that
> will cause non-elisp programmers to run screaming off into the
> distance.

Ouch.  Yes, I've never seen that before and no doubt if I had've I'd
feel the same way.  I just save the merge buffer and quit, and it is
pretty obedient for me.

However I guess it wouldn't be nice to have a merge mode that did not
work out of the box for a large number of users.

Your .el file certainly does the trick for me - I reckon throw it in
contrib/

Sam.