Subject: Re: git-cvsimport newbie question

From: Scott Lamb <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 08:45:48 -0700

Scott Lamb wrote:
> But from the manpage, it appears I'm reverting to a much older way of
> doing things. Maybe I should be giving the newer way a shot? Was this
> "-r" way meant to be used with cloning the mirrored repository? If so,
> what's the workflow there? maybe I should reset racoon2.git's "master"
> branch to the beginning of time (to avoid confusion), update head to
> point to remotes/wide/master (so simple "git clone" and "git pull"
> commands get CVS HEAD), and then update remote.origin.fetch on each
> cloned repository to pull in other branches as needed? But even after
> doing that, "git remote show origin" on a cloned repository still won't
> give me the list of branches I want. So this seems doesn't seem as good
> as the old way.
> 
> Is there any way to make a repository cloned from a new-style
> cvsimported one show the list of branches? It looks like I can't have a
> remote in one repository refer to a remote in another repository - it
> wants a direct reference. Most things seem to ignore origin's remotes,
> at least unless I explicitly name one like "git pull origin
> refs/remotes/wide/master".

Hmm...I just saw in a git-svn howto [1] this text:

    [FIXME] This is all very important information for people setting
    up central tracking servers. This needs expansion, probably its own
    section. Talk about tracking server symlink tricks
    (eg refs/heads/svn -> ../remotes and
    refs/ttags/svn -> ../remotes/tags)

Maybe I want to be doing something similar with git-cvsimport? I'm sure
there's *some* reason way to take advantage of the my named remote; I
just haven't figured out what it is yet. Could someone please fill in
details on this text?

Best regards,
Scott

[1] - http://utsl.gen.nz/talks/git-svn/intro.html