Subject: Re: CVS -> SVN -> Git

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 19:09:30 +0200

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On 7/14/07, Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Incidentally, now that cvs2svn 2.0.0 is nearly out, I am thinking about
>> what it would take to write some other back ends for cvs2svn--turning
>> it, essentially, into cvs2xxx.  Most of the work that cvs2svn does is
>> inferring the most plausible history of the repository from CVS's
>> sketchy, incomplete, idiomatic, and often corrupt data.  This work
>> should also be useful for a cvs2git or cvs2hg or cvs2baz or ...
> 
> Great to hear that. I'm game if we can do something in this direction
> - surely we can make it talk to fastimport ;-)

We added some hooks to cvs2svn 2.0 to start working in this direction.
But I don't really know what information is needed for a git import.
One quick-and-dirty idea that I had was to have cvs2svn output
information compatible with cvsps's output, as I believe that several
tools rely on cvsps to do the dirty work and so could perhaps be
persuaded to use cvs2svn out of the box.

> Does cvs2svn handle incremental imports, remembering any "guesses"
> taken earlier? Last time I looked at it, it had far better logic than
> cvsps, but it didn't do incremental imports, and repeated imports done
> at different times would "guess" different branching points for new
> branches, so it _really_ didn't support incrementals

That's correct; cvs2svn does not support incremental conversion at all
(at least not yet).

Michael