Subject: Re: CVS -> SVN -> Git

From: Simon 'corecode' Schubert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:18:12 +0200

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On 7/14/07, Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Incidentally, now that cvs2svn 2.0.0 is nearly out, I am thinking about
>> what it would take to write some other back ends for cvs2svn--turning
>> it, essentially, into cvs2xxx.  Most of the work that cvs2svn does is
>> inferring the most plausible history of the repository from CVS's
>> sketchy, incomplete, idiomatic, and often corrupt data.  This work
>> should also be useful for a cvs2git or cvs2hg or cvs2baz or ...
> 
> Great to hear that. I'm game if we can do something in this direction
> - surely we can make it talk to fastimport ;-)

In this context I suggest looking at fromcvs [1], my cvs->otherscm converter.  Right now it does git + hg (and sqlite for queries), but it probably is easily extensible for other targets.

> Does cvs2svn handle incremental imports, remembering any "guesses"
> taken earlier? Last time I looked at it, it had far better logic than
> cvsps, but it didn't do incremental imports, and repeated imports done
> at different times would "guess" different branching points for new
> branches, so it _really_ didn't support incrementals

fromcvs will also handle incremental imports.  If not, please tell me and I will try to fix it.

cheers
  simon

[1] http://ww2.fs.ei.tum.de/~corecode/hg/fromcvs/

-- 
Serve - BSD     +++  RENT this banner advert  +++    ASCII Ribbon   /"\
Work - Mac      +++  space for low €€€ NOW!1  +++      Campaign     \ /
Party Enjoy Relax   |   http://dragonflybsd.org      Against  HTML   \
Dude 2c 2 the max   !   http://golden-apple.biz       Mail + News   / \