Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] Re: Empty directories...

From: Simon 'corecode' Schubert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 19:52:01 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
> But I also want to have directories represented within git, because
> not doing so leads to awkward problems.  And the proper way as I see
> it is _not_ to mess with trees and stick them with "stay when empty"
> flags or similar.  This messes up the whole elegance of git's flat
> name space.  The proper way is to create a distinct object that
> represents a physical directory.  We don't need to represent the
> contents of it: those are already tracked in the flat namespace fine,
> with trees serving as an implementation detail.
> 
> All we need to represent is ".".

What I still don't get is:  How do you carry this information about "this directory should not be removed" from one checkout to the next commit?  When creating a .gitignore, this file exists in the workdir.  Of course you add some data to the index to stage it.  But how does this work with your "." "file"?  You can't put that in the filesystem.

cheers
  simon

-- 
Serve - BSD     +++  RENT this banner advert  +++    ASCII Ribbon   /"\
Work - Mac      +++  space for low €€€ NOW!1  +++      Campaign     \ /
Party Enjoy Relax   |   http://dragonflybsd.org      Against  HTML   \
Dude 2c 2 the max   !   http://golden-apple.biz       Mail + News   / \