Subject: Re: Windows support

From: Steven Grimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:12:21 +0800

Dmitry Kakurin wrote:
> How serious are you guys about Windows support?

Well, it's really a matter of someone stepping up and doing the work. 
Much (nearly all?) of the core git team never touches Windows, so they 
both have no selfish motivation to get it working well and no way to 
test their changes even if they decide to take it up for the greater good.

As has been pointed out, there are a lot of people coming to the list 
and asking for Windows support, but precious few actually contributing 
any code. If everyone who asked for Windows support had been willing to 
fix one Windows-related issue, git's Windows support would be stellar by 
now. I'm as guilty as anyone of asking for stuff without doing it 
myself, so I say this as an observation, not an accusation!

> I'm talking fully-functional port, not Cygwin.

There is a port that uses MinGW instead of Cygwin, FYI. It is still 
perhaps not as native-Windows-like as one might prefer, but it should be 
less alien than Cygwin, anyway.

-Steve