Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] GIT 1.5.3-rc4

From: Steven Grimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 00:03:42 +0800

David Kastrup wrote:
> A system such as info, in contrast, is hierarchical, and organized
> with indexes and cross references making it much easier to find
> things.

Really? I find info a huge pain in the butt most of the time. I can't 
just do a simple text search for the information I want in the relevant 
manpage; I have to go navigating around to the appropriate subsection 
(and that's assuming I know where it is) and am forced to use the 
emacs-style pager whether I like it or not (not a big emacs fan here). 
It always ticks me off when I go to read the manpage for some command 
and it tells me to go read the info page if I want complete documentation.

I would definitely not want to move to a documentation system that 
prevented me from typing "man git-commit" to get a list of all the 
command line options for that command.

However, that said, I have no objection to an alternate view of the same 
information that's organized differently.

Am I alone in my dislike of info, I wonder?

-Steve