Subject: Re: rc4 - make quick-install-doc is broken

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 01:03:09 +0200

Johannes Schindelin schrieb:
> Then you make an untracked directory called untracked/.  Tradition 
> dictates that when we're in that directory, we get the prefix 
> "untracked/", because we might add a file, or reference a file in another 
> branch, where that directory is _not_ untracked.

The test is modelled after the install script; Documentation/ (the CWD
during 'make quick-install-doc') is not tracked in branch origin/man.

> So it is expected that checkout-index and ls-files behave differently 
> in a subdirectory (even if that is currently untracked).
> 
> It seems a bit counterintuitive that read-tree succeeds, but really, 
> read-tree is only a commit -> index operation, which should not care about 
> the current prefix.  So it is fine.
> 
> Checkout-index, instead, is an index -> working tree operation, and for 
> most of these, we care about the current prefix (so that you can say git 
> checkout-index file1, where file1 is in the current directory, which is 
> _not_ the working tree root).

OK, makes sense.

Thanks,
René