Subject: Re: [linux-pm] Re: Storing Maintainers info around the kernel tree

From: Rene Herman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 04:18:36 +0200

On 08/17/2007 03:58 AM, Alan Stern wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Rene Herman wrote:
> 
>> On 08/16/2007 11:39 PM, Stefan Richter wrote:
>>> Rene Herman wrote:

>>>> I personally don't think there's a whole lot wrong with more and 
>>>> more expecting people who submit patches (for whom this automation 
>>>> is intended) to be using git.
>>> 
>>> You mean "people who frequently submit patches for various different
>>> subsystems".
>> 
>> Erm, I guess. Is that agreeing or disagreeing with me?
> 
> Don't forget also that the MAINTAINERS information is (or should be!)
> used by people who want to submit bug reports, not just by people who
> submit patches.  Bug reporters shouldn't need to use Git.

Like I said:

>> If it's about non-developer users, I suspect it would to a fairly large
>> degree be an "in theory" thing to expect that said user does want the
>> information in a downloaded releases, but not in git, and not online 
>> where git-web could also easily display all the information right 
>> alongside the files.

And again, generating the MAINTAINERS file/info into releases is fine as well.

Rene.