Subject: Re: [PATCH] A more sensible error message why 'git rebase --continue' failed

From: Steven Grimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:59:02 +0800

Evan Phoenix wrote:
> How about something like
>
> "Please verify all merge conflicts in all modified files, then run
> 'git add' to resolve them."

Since we're nitpicking language here... "git add" doesn't resolve 
anything. *You* resolve the conflicts (by editing the file and removing 
the conflict markers and editing the code, by running git mergetool, 
etc.) then you run "git add" to tell git that you're done resolving.

If I literally followed the above, I would run "less" on a file, say, 
"Yep, git flagged all the merge conflicts correctly," then run "git add" 
figuring it would pop me into some kind of conflict resolution UI. 
Actually it's worse than that -- the above implies that all modified 
files will have merge conflicts, which is certainly not true in many cases.

How about:

"Please resolve all merge conflicts, then run 'git add' to tell git you've
finished resolving each file."

-Steve