Subject: Re: confused about preserved permissions

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:52:36 +0200

Benoit SIGOURE wrote:
> this thread drifted away and although the discussion is interesting,
> the original question hasn't been answered so far and I am in a
> situation where I'd like to know the answer (because my working tree
> needs to be group-readable for a given project and my umask 066 keeps
> annoying me although I don't want to change it).
> 
> Someone on IRC pointed me to http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/
> ContentLimitations which says:
> 
> "By design, git cannot track other aspects of the filesystem, including:
>    * File modes (except for the "executable" bit, and being symbolic
> link)"
> 
> That's weird since the file mode is saved in the tree, isn't there a
> way to ask Git to restore this file mode?

At this time, there is not. git tracks only the executable bit. Even
though it stores (and reports) the complete mode, it only ever stores
one of these mode values: 100644, 100755, 120000. Yes, that's an
enormous waste of bits, but that's how it is.

-- Hannes