Subject: Re: .gitignore, .gitattributes, .gitmodules, .gitprecious?, .gitacls? etc.

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:56:54 +1200

David Kastrup wrote:
>> These files which store metadata would be stored in a way that is
>> "in another dimension" to the project files, despite being a part of
>> the history.  That means that all tools built to deal with regular
>> files and directories will not be able to merge the changes to the
>> attributes without special support.  I think this is broken.
>>     
>
> That presumes that a good way to merge attributes is to use a text
> file merge algorithm, complete with finding diff context lines in a
> basically unchanged order.
>   

Yes.  Is that not a reasonable assumption, in the absence of anything
more enlightened?

>> As far as file properties goes, I still like Linus' idea of making
>> these files which are accessed by treating the file as a directory
>> (eg filename.txt/ACL, filename.txt/mime-type), and that approach
>> could be represented in git well.
>>     
>
> Well, at least _some_ interesting Reiser4 idea resurfaces.
>   

That was in there too?  Man that Reiser4 manifesto read like the Naked
Lunch.

Sam.