Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] GIT 1.5.3

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 08:46:51 +0100

Sean wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 10:57:03 +0100
> "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>>  From the looks of it, there is still a git-p4, it just moved to contrib 
>> and uses fast-import, so removing its rpm package was probably broken in 
>> the first place.
> 
> Hi Peter,
> 
> Items in contrib aren't officially supported, so it doesn't sound like
> a good idea to offer installs for them.  Of course, it might be a good
> idea to promote git-p4 up out of contrib and add it to the spec file.

Well, the old one was out of contrib, too.  Maybe it should never have 
been packaged up, but it was...

> As things stand now, do you get an error when trying to upgrade Git via
> yum?   I'd have thought things would upgrade fine but leave the old git-p4
> rpm hanging around.  Either way, the obsoletes line mentioned by David
> sounds like the right solution.

Yes, it gets an error, because all the git RPMs are tied together by 
explicit version number and so can only be upgraded as a group.

> As an aside, when I sent the patch removing git-p4import from the spec
> file I mentioned that I had no way to test it and asked for testers.
> Git needs a spec file maintainer so that issues like this can be caught
> before release.  Without a maintainer, it should probably be demoted
> to contrib itself.

Well, git on kernel.org (and many other places) critically depends on 
rpms being available.

	-hpa