Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add a new lstat and fstat implementation based on Win32 API

From: Marius Storm-Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:20:03 +0200

Johannes Sixt said the following on 04.09.2007 09:41:
> Marius Storm-Olsen schrieb:
>> Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>>> To make it easier on others, I just uploaded it into the
>>> "teststat" branch on 4msysgit.git (subject to removal in a few
>>> days).
>> Ok, I've updated the patch in the 4msysgit.git repo, 'teststat'
>> branch. RFC, and please test.
> 
> Thanks a lot! I've pushed it out in mingw.git's master.

Ops, already in master branch?
Ok, I found out that the custom fstat function was incomplete, so I 
completed it. However, since you've already pushed it to your main 
branch, I've added it as a separate commit to the 4msysgit.git 
'teststat' branch. It might also explain some of the testfailures we 
were seeing, but I haven't finished the test run yet. (So, consider 
the patch something to play with, and don't commit it to your 'master' 
branch yet! ;-)

http://repo.or.cz/w/git/mingw/4msysgit.git?a=commitdiff;h=f15974add93bdfa92775c77c00e7c65aefd42127

> The reason that t4200-rerere.sh fails is that we now store UTC in
> st_mtime. However, for the garbage-collection we compare this entry
> to a local time stamp. Therefore, I've pushed out a fixup patch at
> the top of mingw.git's devel branch that converts mtime to local
> time 
> (http://repo.or.cz/w/git/mingw.git?a=commitdiff;h=1b62ecb31068af06c2fa7664f06c6c36316aac2c).
> Would you kindly conduct the performance test with this patch? I'm
> afraid that this makes us substantially slower.

Ok, I can give it a performance test, but I tend to agree with David 
Kastrup there. It would be better if we rather fix the places where we 
check with the local timestamp instead; depending of course on how 
many places we actually do this.
We'll see how much the timezone conversion in the custom stat 
functions actually hurt us performance wise.

-- 
.marius