Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] archive: specfile support (--pretty=format: in archive files)

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 01:13:50 +0200

David Kastrup schrieb:
> I think a bit more layering would be helpful: when using git-svn, one
> would want to have things like $Id$ and $Date$ expanded, so maybe
> attribute specs like
> 
> somefile: expandmarkers="$Date: %aD$ $Id: ....$"
> 
> would be nice having.  In the case of git-svn, I would expect them to
> be generated from git-svn from the respective svn properties, so that
> the user is not bothered with figuring out the awful $Id$ and whatever
> strings.

Eek!  I'd rather shove this into a new layer below specfile/template
expansion, which would do something like that:

   s/\$Date:.*\$/$Format:$$Date: %aD$/

This way A) the complexity and ugliness affects only the users of these
fields, while $Format:...$ users are not adversely affected, and B) we
can first implement $Format:...$ handling and add the rest later.

In order to expand $Id$, git-archive would need to run some kind of
callback, right? :-/  Let's first see if such a thing is really needed.

René