Subject: Re: People unaware of the importance of "git gc"?

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 11:28:40 +0200

Russ Dill wrote:
>> Ok, how about doing something like this?
>>
> 
> git add? merge? rebase? No, I have a sneakier place to invoke gc.
> 
> Whenever $EDITOR gets invoked. Heck, whenever git is waiting for any user input,
> do some gc in the background, it'd just have to be incremental so that we could
> pick up where we left off.
> 

I like it. Writing a commit-message takes anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes
for me (sometimes having to check up bug id's, or verifying details in the code).
Sneaking in a repack here would be absolutely stellar :)

It's also nice in that it won't affect people who just follow a project's tip to
get the bleeding edge. For them it shouldn't matter much that they have multiple
small packs obtained while fetching, or if it's all bungled together in a big one.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231