Subject: Mailing patch series'

From: Russ Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 20:06:35 -0500

Hi,

I've noticed the method of mailing series' of patches on this mailing
list, and I'd like to know a little more about how it's done, as I'm
considering how well it might work for us as a workflow and review process.

Particularly, where does the series of patches come from? Is this a
usage scenario for stacked git (something else I don't fully understand
the rationale behind as yet)? I'm imagining the developer has a local
branch to which he commits his changes, and then rebases resulting in
his branches being at the end of the local branch. How are they then
extracted and mailed out?

My next question, is supposing that the patches are reviewed and changes
suggested. How does the developer then go about amending, say the second
patch and getting the subsequent ones rebased off that? I'm assuming
there's a nice clever way of doing it that doesn't involve manually
messing with individual patch files etc.

Please excuse my ignorance: I'm still getting my head around this. Once
I do that I'm usually away and happy, but it takes a while for that
'click' moment to hit me sometimes :)

Thanks.

-- 

Russ