Subject: Re: State of Perforce importing.

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 19:27:13 +1200

David Brown wrote:
> I'd like to track a lot of code living in a Perforce repository, so I've
> been playing with 'git-p4.py'.  Is the one in the contrib/fast-import
> directory the latest version, or is there a better place.

I'm pretty close to giving a newer one a spin, that actually imports
from the raw perforce back-end files without needing the perforce
server.  I am hoping that this should give a very clean import and will
be very fast and efficient, sending files that share ancestry to gfi in
sequence so that the on-the-fly delta system works.

If you're interested, take a look at
http://utsl.gen.nz/gitweb/?p=git-p4raw;a=summary.  Expect the commands
that say "WIP" to be rebased :-).  It requires Postgres - I haven't yet
re-written the SQL queries that step outside of MySQL's little box.

It could possibly be adapted to use the p4 client (though I'd expect
that to be relatively slow per-revision), and possibly be extended to be
bidirectional as all of the upstream change number information is
recorded, a la git-svn.

Sam.