Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-merge: add option --no-ff

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:12:39 +1200

Sam Vilain wrote:
>>> I'd say 'git-svn merge' as a wrapper for 'git merge --no-ff' would be cleaner.
>>>       
>> That unfortunately does not solve the problem.
>>     
>
> I think we 'just' need to fix pushing merges back to SVN - so that they
> properly set Subversion 1.5+ (and possibly SVK) merge attributes - and
> if it is ambiguous which branch to push to, force the user to decide.
>   

Whoops, I missed the thrust of the current issue; it won't be ambiguous,
it'll be unambiguously wrong, so this doesn't apply.

In which case I'd guess the moral equivalent of --track would have to go
forward, or a per-branch basis.

I think that writing a real fast-forward merge should only happen on
dcommit, not git merge, because that is what is required for SVN. 
Ideally, it should also have the property that it doesn't cycle; null
merges between two branches should not carry on indefinitely.

Sam.