Subject: Re: [PATCH] contrib/fast-import: add perl version of simple example

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 23:57:52 +1200

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>> I think he means a dump that you can meaningfully edit with sed or a 
>> text editor. And even nicer, one that could be fed back into 
>> git-fast-import. So you could do something like:
>>
>> git-fast-export A..B >dump
>> vi dump
>> git-fast-import <dump
>>
>> to rewrite history in a very flexible way.
>>     
>
> Exactly what I meant.  Some people seem to have problems with 
> filter-branch, but somehow no proper bug report, let alone fix, evolved 
> from that.
>
> I guess these people are more comfortable with what you just described.
>   

Guilty. my own filter-branch supports things like custom re-ordering of
commits prior to rewriting (eg, if you need to refer to one commit to
another in a commit message, you better make sure it happens in the
right order).

I personally want to be able to dump patches, including merges, to
git-format-patch format, in such a way that all other information (eg,
committer, date, etc) is preserved. And probably using something akin to
Message-Id: headers for a "patch UUID" which is what you need when
you're working with piles of patches like that.

Sam.