Subject: Re: git-svn: Deleting directories

From: Adam Roben <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:37:10 -0700

Russ Brown wrote:
> I've just noticed that when deleting entire directory trees in git, when
> the dcommit happens only the files in that trees get deleted, which
> leaves a 'ghost town' of a directory tree with folders but no files,
> which will no doubt have somewhat confused my svn-using colleagues.
>
> This is obviously an interoperability problem, but I understand that git
> does not track folders and is so tricky to fix.
>
> The question though is how to handle it. Ideally, dcommit will detect
> that an entire directory has gone and send through a changeset which
> deletes just that one directory, instead of the current behaviour of
> explicitly deleting every file in the directory but leaving the
> directories themselves intact.
>   
There's a similar problem when renaming a directory. dcommit will 
essentially commit a series of moves of individual files rather than 
moving the whole directory. Again this is due to git not tracking 
directories. I should hope that whatever logic is used for detecting a 
directory removal may also be used for detecting a directory rename.

-Adam