Subject: git-svn eliminating master

From: Russ Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:01:51 -0500

So I've been using git-svn for a while, and just decided to try
publishing my repo via gitweb so I can experiment with showing others my
local branches before I dcommit them to the subversion repository (i.e.
allowing code review prior to commit).

It's working pretty nicely: the only problem I have is the master
branch. I don't use master at all, and I'm willing to be that a lot of
other git-svn users don't either. I take all of my branches from either
trunk or one of the other upstream svn server branches.

The problem is gitweb appears to show the master branch by default,
while I'd rather show trunk by default. Is it legal to just delete the
master branch, or failing that have it automatically follow trunk so I
don't have to rebase it every time I want to push? Personally I'd rather
delete it because it's not used at all in my case and will only lead to
confuse the other developers who decide to look at my repo.

I've tried deleting master in a test repo, and it seems to be fine. But
I don't know if there are any hidden surprised that might come back to
bite me later.

Thanks.

-- 

Russ