Subject: Re: Status of Mac OS/X ports of git and cogito?

From: Martin Langhoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:06:23 +1200

I'm running git & cogito on OSX 10.3.9 (Panther) with fink
0.7.1(stable), and have been using git w/o problems. I've just done an
update and recompiled to confirm...

On 9/11/05, Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> - daemon.c needs a define or typedef for socklen_t.

Not a problem on 10.3.9.
 
> - mailinfo.c needs to have a simple strcasestr implementation, because
>   10.2.8 (at least in my setup) is lacking it!

Not a problem on 10.3.9.
 
> - gitk gets very confused about the window layout. My preliminary tests on
>   cygwin showed that this seems to be rather a problem of Tk with rootless
>   Xwin. I worked around it by explicitely stating the dimensions of some
>   canvas windows which would not automatically resize with their contents
>   otherwise.

I _am_ seeing this problem, but it's definitely an issue with Tk. I'd
be thankful if you could post the fixes...
 
> The only thing I did not "fix" is git-cvsimport not running because of a
> lacking File/Temp.pm. But then, I run git-cvsimport on a different machine
> anyway.

sudo cpan install File::Temp ?

At any rate, I've just checked and File::Temp is part of the Perl
5.8.1 installed in 10.3.9. Even fink knows this, and if you do
apt-cache show system-perl it'll tell you that it includes File::Temp.

Any platform-specific changes should be limited to backwards compat,
really. MacOSX is converging quickly towards GNU/Linux compatibility
in the build environment.

cheers,

martin