Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (topics)

From: Steven Grimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 23:41:15 -0700

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> * jc/stash-create (Mon Jul 9 00:51:23 2007 -0700) 2 commits
>  + rebase: allow starting from a dirty tree.
>  + stash: implement "stash create"
>
> Instead of refusing to rebase, telling you that your work tree
> is dirty, this stashes your local changes, runs rebase and then
> unstashes automatically.  That _sounds_ nicer and easier to use,
> but I am not sure if it is a wise/sane thing to do.  We may want
> to revert the "autostash" from rebase.  Opinions?
>   

I can say that for people coming from svn (who are often using "git svn 
rebase" rather than directly running "git rebase") this is a nice 
workflow improvement. It eliminates one more "Why is this more of a pain 
to do in git than in svn?" complaint.

I don't see any circumstance in my use of git -- either in a git-svn 
context or not -- where this wouldn't be an improvement over the 
existing behavior. However, I don't claim to be using git in any 
particularly interesting way, so I suppose it's possible that this will 
break someone's workflow horribly.

-Steve