Subject: Problems using StGit and -rt kernel patchset

From: Clark Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 09:19:26 -0500

Hello all,

I've been working on the -rt patch series for the kernel and would like to to use
StGit to manage the patches. Unfortunately I've had limited success, so I thought I'd
ask the git/stgit community if what I'm doing is wrong.

I clone Linus's tree to a common directory, then clone it locally to work:

$ git clone -s -l /home/src/linux-2.6.git scratch.git
$ cd scratch.git
$ stg init
$ stg branch --create rt-2.6.23-rc8-rt1 v2.6.23-rc8
$ stg import --series --ignore --replace ../sources/patch-queue-2.6.23-rc8-rt1/series
<fix the things quilt lets through and stg barfs on, like malformed email addresses>
<watch 368 patches be applied and committed>
<work work work>
<get a new patch queue>
$ (cd /home/src/linux-2.6.git && git pull)
$ stg pull
$ stg branch --create rt-2.6.23-rc8-rt1 v2.6.23-rc9
$ stg import --series --ignore --replace ../sources/patch-queue-2.6.23-rc9-rt1/series
Checking for changes in the working directory ... done
stg import: env git-commit-tree 520b9d0db6a1142271a68b2b38cca002be40f6cb -p
da0a81e98c06aa0d1e05b9012c2b2facb1807e12 failed (fatal:
da0a81e98c06aa0d1e05b9012c2b2facb1807e12 is not a valid 'commit' object)

At this point I'm clueless as to:

1. What I've done wrong
2. How to recover/debug this

I really like using stgit to manage the patch queue with each patch as a commit, so
I'd prefer to figure out how to either use stgit properly, or fix whatevers going wrong.

Thanks,
Clark