Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] Run garbage collection with loose object pruning after svn dcommit

From: Steven Grimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 09:12:05 -0700

Peter Baumann wrote:
> I don't like the automatic prune. What if someone has other objects in
> there which shouldn't be pruned? Making git svn dcommit doing the prune
> would be at least suprising, because how is one supposed to know that
> doing a commit into svn will prune all your precious objects?
>   

"git commit" already does garbage collection, so we've already set a 
precedent for a commit operation also doing some cleanup at the end. 
However, you're correct that this cleanup behavior (and the way to turn 
it off) should be documented so that there's some way to know about it. 
Doc patch forthcoming.

> Sure, I can unterstand from where you are coming from, but I'd prefere
> if this could be specified on a case by case basis, e.g. from the
> cmdline or as a config option.
>   

This code (by virtue of only doing the prune if the "too many loose 
objects" test succeeds) will obey the existing gc.auto config option. So 
it's already possible to turn off as is. I'll note that in the doc patch.

-Steve