Subject: Re: [PATCH] setup/rev-parse: allow HEAD to be spelled 'head'

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:23:00 +1300

Alex Riesen wrote:
> Sam Vilain, Fri, Oct 05, 2007 05:09:10 +0200:
>> If the repository got mangled by FAT capitalization rules, then a ref
>> such as "HEAD" will become "head" once it is back on a non-FAT FS.
>> Check for this condition in resolve_refs and in the setup code.
>>
>> Suggested-by: Francois Marier <[email-masked]>
>> Signed-off-by: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
>> ---
>>   This should probably help people putting their git repos on
>>   FAT USB sticks.
> 
> Can the people just mount FAT partitions with shortname=mixed?

Of course, that is probably a solution to the problem, whereas my patch
is a workaround.

Now, I realise that this might open a can of worms ... would we also
want to go looking for files called "pack-ab~1.pac" ?  Almost certainly
not - but this solves the most immediate problem experienced by people
putting their git repositories onto FAT filesystems mounted with the
default options, which will say "FATAL: not a git repository" otherwise.

Sam.