Subject: Re: 'git diff' in rebase--interactive

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:35:13 +0200

Johannes Schindelin schrieb:
> On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Johannes Sixt wrote:
> 
>> I wonder for what reason rebase--interactive generates a patch using 
>> 'git diff' in the make_patch function. Is this an artefact?
> 
> It was an explicit request by people who use git-rebase regularly, and 
> missed being able to see the patch in --interactive.

Can we generate the patch with plumbing, diff-{files,index,tree}? They 
by-pass any diff drivers.

>> I'd like to get rid of this use of 'git diff' because it invokes 
>> external diff drivers, which is totally unwanted if the driver is 
>> interactive - like the 'windiff' thing that I posted a week ago.
> 
> So you do not want to be able to run git-rebase (without -i)?

It wouldn't work anyway in my use-case (versioned Word documents), but 
rebase -m and rebase -i could run without manual intervention as long as 
there are no content merges.

In this particular case, I only wanted to amend the message of a commit 3 
steps down in the history, and I had not expected any diff drivers to be 
fired up.

-- Hannes