Subject: Re: How to Import a bitkeeper repo into git

From: Pete/Piet Delaney <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 17:41:28 -0700

Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> Pete/Piet Delaney <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I imported the CVS repository to git and it worked great. Since all
>> of our other repository are in bitkeeper the management would like to
>> stick with CVS. With git apparently still being weak in the area of
>> supporting difftool on different version that seems somewhat reasonable
>> for the time being.
> ...
>> I was curious why the difftool paradigm hasn't been integrated into
>> the git GUIs. It's very comfortable and I think it has been used in
>> other source code control systems, for example Sun Microsystems.
> 
> What's difftool?  What's so great about it?

It's a side by side graphical diff. So instead of showing the difference
like diff does it takes the output from diff and shows the originals
with the diffs highlighted.

tkdiff is a good example that's easy to down load and see. So
just imagine allowing git-gui to run tkdiff of revisions you select
with the mouse.

> 
> Forgive my ignorance but it has been many years since I last used
> BitKeeper and even when I did use it I didn't get into many of the
> features it offered.  Its entirely possible I never learned about
> difftool.

Try downloading tkdiff. There also a X implementation,
I think it's xdiff.

> 
> I've never found that I cannot get the information I need out of Git
> when I need it.  Actually I've found it to be the easiest VCS to get
> data out of, beating CVS, Perforce, BitKeeper, SVN, etc. hands down.
> Of course I also know Git better than I know those tools...

Try tkdiff and then tell me you don't find it easier to read that
the straight output from diff.

- -piet