Subject: Re: git-svn has a _lot_ of metadata

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 02:22:41 +1300

Karl Hasselström wrote:
>     This could probably be stored _much_ more efficiently. Just
>     gzipping it with the standard options shrinks it by between a
>     factor of 4 (for one of the busiest branches) and 300 (for a tag,
>     which is written just once). But I understand that we need quick
>     random access here?
>   

I understand that patches to enhance git-svn to allow it to store its
metadata via DBI (as git-cvsserver currently does) would be more than
welcome.

I made an example for an old version of git-svn, which stored the
information in a DBM.  However using a set of tables would be much less
of a hack.

http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gw?p=git.git;a=commitdiff;h=dbe3fa060

Treat that change as a reference only; it just shows what places in the
code would need to be touched to support a different storage format.  A
mergeable patch to fix this would probably need to support both methods,
detecting which is available or in use.

Sam.