Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitweb: Speed up get_projects_list for large source trees

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 18:55:01 +0200

Luke Lu wrote:
> Hi, I've been using git for a month now and loving it.

Hello Luke, and welcome to the community :)

> This is my first ever patch for git using git.

It shows. The patch is whitespace damaged, and the commit message leaves
a little something to desire. I suggest you read through
Documentation/SubmittingPatches and then re-send your patch. Try sending
to yourself and looking at the result with a monospace font. It's what I
always do to make sure patches look okay before sending them to the list.

Not trying to be rude or anything. Oldtime list-members sometimes get to
hear the exact same thing.

Also, Junio, the maintainer, is currently away, so don't worry if your
patches are left in limbo for some time. Someone will pick it up and
carry it forward for Junio to pull, or he'll hack up some script to
get all patces from his mailbox and review them one by one. He's a very
thorough fellow, usually.

> I spent sometime to find out why the 
> project listing is taking 200s, everytime! I guess that gitweb is mostly 
> used to serve bare repositories, which would never encounter such 
> problems. It takes .2s, after the patch on my laptop. That's 1000x 
> improvement for me (on Mac OS X 1.4.10.)
> 

Sweet job :)

I'll have to test this, as we've got a few repos at work with a checked out
working tree connected to the repos. I haven't run into your issues though,
but perhaps that's because we run it under Linux.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231