Subject: Re: Howto request: going home in the middle of something?

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:37:50 +0200

Jan Wielemaker schrieb:
> I've somewhere seen it in a mail, but I can't find it anymore. I have a
> bare central (public) repository and clones on various machines I work
> on. We all know it, you're right in the middle of something and it is
> really time to go home. You want to pick up your work at home, but
> without pushing to the shared repository.
> 
> I'm sure GIT can do this elegantly, but I'm not yet sure how.  I guess
> Ideally I want "git stash" at work, transfer the stashed changes to my
> other machine and apply them.  How do I do that?

One way is to use a bundle:

$ git checkout -b home
$ git bundle create home.bdl origin..home

Then put home.bdl on or USB stick or send by email. At home:

$ git fetch home.bdl home
$ git checkout -b to-be-continued FETCH_HEAD

You better make double sure that the commit "origin" that is used above is 
available at home.

Judge yourself whether this is "elegant".

-- Hannes