Subject: Re: Qgit performance and maintain CVS environment with GIT repository

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:14:18 +0200

Pete/Piet Delaney wrote:
> Johannes:
>   I read somewhere in the past week that it was possible to maintain
>   our existing CVS environment with git. I though it was a separate
>   package to export git back to cvs but I just noticed a git-cvsserver
>   and as a std part of git and was wondering about using that.
> 
>   We have a number of build machines with flamebox perl scripts pulling
>   out CVS branches for builds. I was wondering what is the best way to
>   use git and it's nicer pull/push model and merge facility and possibly
>   maintain CVS exports for scripts doing builds if possible the cvsweb
>   and bonsai (CVS Query Form) that a number of engineers are currently
>   using. I started looking over out flamebox scripts with the intent
>   up converting them over to git but I mentioned the git to cvs
>   coexistence and we are wondering if that's a better route than
>   upgrading the flamebox scripts. Having our existing cvsweb, bonsai,
>   and gitweb along with the git utilities seems at least desirable.
>   Any thoughts or suggestions?
> 

If you do convert them to git, you can fairly easily do an automatic
bisect on build-errors, and the developer can (after some time) get
an email of what machines they broke the code on and what the bad
commit was.

Besides that, it's not a black-and-white scenario. If I were you I'd set
up git-cvsserver and make sure that works for all the scripts, and then
pick one or two auto-build things to convert to git. Preferrably on a
separate machine, so everything keeps working the same as always while
you're fiddling with the auto-build stuff.

Just my two cents.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231