Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] git-fetch: mega-terse fetch output

From: Steven Grimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:53:52 -0700

(Sorry for the repeat; my mail client tried to send this as HTML at 
first and the git list rejected it.)

On 19/10/2007, Jeff King <[email-masked]> wrote:
 > This makes the fetch output much more terse. It is likely to
 > be very controversial. Here's an example of the new output:
 >
 > Indexing objects: 100% (1061/1061), done.
 > Resolving deltas: 100% (638/638), done.

Those two lines are actually my beef with the fetch output. As a newbie, 
I had no idea what "Indexing objects" actually meant. We have this thing 
called "the index" in git so I would expect "Indexing objects" to have 
something to do with that, but it doesn't seem to.

How about something more descriptive of the high-level operation that's 
going on, along the lines of:

Gathering changes from remote: 100% (1061/1061), done.
Applying changes locally: 100% (638/638), done.

-Steve