Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-format-patch: Don't number patches when there's only one

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:14:08 +0200

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> 
>> [PATCH 1/1] looks a bit silly, and automagically handling this in 
>> git-format-patch makes some scripting around it a lot more pleasant.
> 
> I think you should not use "-n" if you do not want to have the numbers.  

This stems from creating scripts around it where I only want to see the 
numbers if there is more than a single patch. Currently I can't do that 
without running git-format-patch twice or re-implementing the revision 
parsing machinery to count revisions prior to passing arguments to 
format-patch.

> In circumstances as yours, where you can have patch series larger than 
> one, I imagine that the "[PATCH 1/1]" bears an important information, 
> which is not present in "[PATCH]": this patch series contains only one 
> patch.
> 

That's sort of implicit in [PATCH], since all patch-series added by the 
tool I'm scripting will have [PATCH n/m], while I'd prefer for 
single-patches to have only [PATCH].

> IOW I do not like your patch: too much DWIDNS (Do What I Did NOT Say) for 
> me.
> 

Would a separate option be acceptable to you?

It doesn't have to be fancy or short, since I really only mean to use it 
from our scripts.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231