Subject: Re: [PATCH] execv_git_cmd(): also try PATH if everything else fails.

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:19:36 +0200

Scott Parish wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 10:59:01PM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> 
>> Earlier, we tried to find the git commands in several possible exec
>> dirs.  Now, if all of these failed, try to find the git command in
>> PATH.
> 
> I'm tempted to try a different approach. What if instead of looping
> and building up strings of all the different absolute paths we want
> to try we just prepend to PATH with the correct extra precedence,
> and then call execvp on the command we want?
> 

That's how the original git --exec-dir feature got implemented. There's 
even a nifty function for it in git.c; prepend_to_path(). It's a 
provably workable solution.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231