Subject: git-annotate - leaking hundrets of megabytes

From: Sven Herzberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:00:34 +0200

Hey,

I just started to write a small tool that's supposed to provide a
graphical annotation view. It's supposed to display the information of
git-annotate and provide a way to browse through the history (so people
can click on links that refer to older revisions, etc.). According to
the man page of git-annotate, I looked into the incremental mode to make
sure the tool can load the information step by step.

However, to make sure the user interface doesn't block while
"git-annotate --incremental" is running, I decided to take a really slow
annotation while developing and then I saw that git-annotate leaks
*lots* of memory (at least in that use-case).

In my example, it used up to 450MB:
http://people.imendio.com/~sven/massif.18740.png

Reproduce:
1. git clone git://git.webkit.org/WebKit.git
2. cd WebKit/WebCore
3. git-annotate --incremental ChangeLog

Regards,
  Sven

PS: Please CC me as I'm not on the list.