Subject: Re: intended use of "git --exec-path"?

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:08:24 +0200

Scott Parish wrote:
> "git --exec-path" presently prints out the highest priority path
> to find executable in. That's a what; i'm curious why and when it
> should be used. Basically i'm wondering if its still useful, and
> what, if anything, it should be printing.
> 

git supports having all its "helpers" in a separate path. Since
there were performance concerns with having scripts call the git
wrapper for every invocation of every git program, the --exec-path
option was added when the wrapper was rewritten in C.

Unless it's a very tight loop that runs non-builtin programs,
there's really no reason for scripts to use the git-whatever form
of commands, but the ability to do so should probably be retained
more or less forever. See 8e49d50388211a0f3e7286f6ee600bf7736f4814
for details.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231