Subject: Re: best git practices, was Re: Git User's Survey 2007 unfinished summary continued

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:42:35 +0200

Jakub Narebski wrote:
> On 10/24/07, Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> git pull. Not git push. git pull operates on one working branch
>> at a time (by default), whereas git push uploads and fast-forwards
>> all the common branches (by default). I want git pull to work like
>> git push.
> 
> git push is opposite (almost) to git fetch, not to git pull.
> 

Not to an end user that has no idea or desire to learn about git remotes
or anything else. They see "ok, push updates all the remote branches, but
only if it's a fast-forward". They also see "righto, git pull updates all
the local branches, and even merges and does other funny things", but they
*don't* understand why git-pull (in their eyes) only update ONE branch that
they can actually check out. From a technical standpoint, fetch and push
are the same, but from the user perspective, push and pull seem much more
alike.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231