Subject: Re: Newbie: report of first experience with git-rebase.

From: Steven Grimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:06:20 -0700

J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> I ran into the same confusion as the original poster when starting to
> use rebase, so I suspect it's common.
>   

I've been using rebase just about every day for close to a year and it 
*still* annoys me when it happens. Especially the "Did you forget to git 
add?" part of the message. The thought that always goes through my head 
is, "No, Mr. Rebase, I did NOT forget to git add. I remembered to git 
add, then you were too stupid to do the right thing after that."

Just happened to me this morning, in fact: I had a quick hack in place 
to work around a bug, the bug got fixed for real, and I rebased. In the 
process of conflict resolution I saw that my workaround wasn't needed 
any more and accepted the upstream version of that particular part of 
the file. Ran git-add on it, then rebase --continue, and boom, was 
accused of forgetting to run git-add.

It is a minor annoyance and nowadays I just sigh a bit and run --skip 
instead, but it'd be nice if it didn't happen. I don't like having to 
care whether or not I happened to change other files in a particular 
commit after I resolve conflicts in one file in favor of the upstream 
version.

-Steve