Subject: Re: [PATCH] post-update hook: update working copy

From: Steven Grimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 10:28:20 -0700

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>>  - Who guarantees that a human user is not actively editing the
>>    work tree files without saving?
> There are times when one simply doesn't care.
>
> I realize that for my situation, a much simpler script can (and is) 
> used, so
> I agree with your concerns. The idea that every git repo has a human 
> hacking
> on it isn't true though, so doing things like this are sometimes useful,
> timesaving and a real help.

Yeah, that's absolutely true. My use cases would be twofold. First, a 
public reference tree on a shared development server where people can 
look over my corner of the code base without having to check the whole 
thing out for themselves.

Second, a Web server with a bunch of static text/image files and PHP 
scripts. If I can deploy by just pushing to a "current release" branch, 
that saves me from having to first push then ssh to the machine and do 
"git reset --hard".

Neither one of those things is impossible to do with vanilla git. They 
just require extra busywork steps at the moment if you don't use an 
"update the working copy on push" hook.

-Steve