Subject: Re: why the 'g' prefix on the SHA1 in git-describe output?

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 16:18:54 +0100

Lars Hjemli wrote:
> On Nov 3, 2007 1:25 PM, Jim Meyering <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me what motivated adding the 'g' prefix on the SHA1 in
>> git-describe output?
> 
> I'm not sure what _motivated_ the 'g', but currently git-rev-parse
> understands the output from git-describe _if_ the 'g' is present.
> 

It's been there since 908e5310b958619559d34b0b6da122f058faa47e, which
has the commit-subject 'Add a "git-describe" command'.

I think it'd be more trouble removing it now than it is to keep it,
since a lot of script depend on it being there for parsing out
versioning info in various autobuild- and release scripts.

If you want to change it, I'd suggest adding a "--no-sha1" option
that makes the entire "-g%s" part of the output go away, or
perhaps adding a --format="%v-%d-%g" (for the default behaviour).

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231