Subject: Re: [PATCH] Implement selectable group ownership in git-init

From: Francesco Pretto <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 16:09:06 +0100

Wincent Colaiuta ha scritto:
> 
> using the administration tools designed for managing access, just like
> every other SCM (and every server, and every piece of software which can
> be accessed by many on a multi-user system).
> 

I don't agree in general: in SCMs and other multi-user softwares, the access
control configuration can be safely postponed just because it's in their
standard usage pattern that the access should be conditioned by a daemon
to be configured later. It's not the case of git, just because git is very
tied to *nix permissions.
But as it is now, it could seems that it's good to put committers in the (for
example) git group, just because you have a git administrative account
git:git . This is caused, imo, by the fact that the flow of creating a shared
repository for a specific work/project group with git-init run by an
administrative user (as it should be) is something like this:

	- Do it wrong;
	- Fix it immediately.

I don't like the "Do it wrong" part. I'm trying to produce a sane and
transparent patch to implement the selectable group just in case of repository
first initialization. Why do I care so much of first time users? Dunno, but
I think it's important.