Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add Documentation/CodingStyle

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 01:04:20 +0100

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Even if our code is quite a good documentation for our coding style,
> some people seem to prefer a document describing it.
> 

Sweet. You just saved me 40 minutes of writing one just like that for
company use. I owe you a drink, and then you can tell me what movie
you alluded to ;-)

> +
> + - if you are planning a new command, consider writing it in shell or
> +   perl first, so that changes in semantics can be easily changed and
> +   discussed.  Many git commands started out like that, and a few are
> +   still scripts.

I'd skip this part though and just add a pointer to contrib/examples/,
saying something along the lines of

- if you're planning a new command, sneak a peak in contrib/examples/
  for ample study-material of retired git commands implemented in perl
  and shell.

Possibly with s/retired // on that paragraph.

There's nothing particular wrong with writing in C from the start after
all.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231